Wednesday, February 19, 2014

$30 for 30

When you hear the word ”philanthropist,” do you think of a rich person who owns multiple homes and uses a $300 bar of soap? I did! I always thought a philanthropist is someone who can cut big  checks with lots of zeros and multiple commas. That ain't my ministry, YET!





I work at a women's funding foundation where I've come to learn that philanthropy is actually defined by someone who gives of their time, talents, and money. My job purposefully trains and encourages women about giving and teaches them how to be bold in their donations. 

It appears that I've been a philanthropist for over 20 years and didn't even know it!

Over the next 10 months, in honor of my 30th birthday, I plan to give $30 to 30 organizations. I will make 3 donations a month in honor of my milestone birthday. I’m calling this my “$30 for 30” campaign.

In my 2014 Unraveling, I listed “Defining my philanthropy” as one of the three passions/hobbies that I would like to explore this year. All the organizations that I’m donating $30 to are nonprofits that I support because of their mission, their leadership, and the community they serve. Most of them are organizations that I have a personal tie with, but I’ll be sure to explain all of that.

I'm doing this campaign as a challenge to myself and to you. I am always telling people to get involved, give back to your community, make a difference. Yes, I'm a big cheerleader for social responsibility and civic engagement, but I haven't made a conscious effort to extend that effort with my pocketbook. I already volunteer my time and talents and adding this last piece to my philanthropy will really help me feel like a "philanthropist." 

My first three donations will be made in March. Be on the lookout for details about the organizations here on my blog. I challenge you to set an amount of money to donate to causes you believe in, too. Let me know which ones you choose and why.


2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'd be interested to hear which organizations you give to and why. That information may educated me but also inspire me to support some of those organizations as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my list of orgs is really diverse. I have large and small organizations on there. I hope my $30 for 30 encourages people to understand and cultivate their own philanthropy.

      Delete